Degenerative Eye Conditions
Our integrated TCM/naturopathy treatment program is individualized to address the unique needs of our patients and the underlying conditions associated with their eye disease.
Depending on the patient, this may include:
- Family medical history
- Extensive blood analysis
- Food allergy testing
- Nutrition and lifestyle counseling
- Micro acupuncture
- Acu-laser therapy
- Auricular acupuncture
- Chinese herbs
- Eye exercises
What to Expect
At our Acupuncture Center we offer both a five- and ten-day treatment protocol. We recommend that first-time patients come for two weeks (ten days of treatment) so we can get a full understanding of the patient and see how he or she responds to treatment. Some patients have the most response during a five-day session, while others do best on a ten-day protocol.
- At the beginning of treatment, we review the patient’s medical history and request the patient conduct a recent series of vision tests (central acuity near and far, visual field, contrast and color vision) to establish a baseline from their primary physician. This is critical to determine the effectiveness of the treatment.
- Therapy consists of two 30-minute treatment sessions a day with an hour break between treatments. Treatment methods vary depending on the patient and eye condition and may include micro-acupuncture, acu-laser therapy, electro-acupuncture and auricular acupuncture.
- Nutritional supplements and Chinese herbs may also be provided
- At the end of the first week (after ten treatments), we request the patient repeat the vision tests to determine if the treatments are working
- This protocol is repeated the following week to complete the two-week program. At the end of the treatment program, patients are provided with diet, lifestyle and supplement recommendations designed to address underlying health conditions, nourish their eyes and help maintain their eyesight. While eighty-five percent of patients respond positively to the treatment, there are some patients who do not respond to acupuncture/naturopathy.
New patients must understand that this is not a “miracle cure.” It takes time for some patients to see results where others see improvements right away. Once we recover whatever lost vision we can, the goal is retain remaining eyesight through maintenance treatments. Degenerative eye conditions need ongoing maintenance and will only get worse if neglected. The frequency of maintenance visits vary depend on the patient and their individual conditions. Most patients return for treatment every three or four months for the first year, then continue with maintenance treatments twice a year, or whatever treatment frequency is recommended.